By: Beth Pattman
With colder weather fast approaching, it’s time to turn a new leaf and cozy up with a classic fall drink. Whether it’s pumpkin, vanilla, or cinnamon flavors that make your taste buds sing, these DIY versions of your favorite fall drinks will be sure to warm you and your soul. You may already have most of the ingredients tucked away in your cabinets, so just a few necessary additions won’t break the bank. Pick your poison and prepare to relax.
Cinnamon Dolce Latte
Prep Time: 4 minutes
6 ounces boiling water
1 to 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
¼-teaspoon ground cinnamon
½-tablespoon light brown sugar
½-teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Whipped cream and ground cinnamon for garnish
- Stir the espresso powder into the hot water and set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place in microwave and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until the milk starts to froth up.
- Remove from microwave and stir again.
- Place in microwave for an additional 30 seconds, or until the milks starts to froth up again.
- Remove from microwave. While stirring the espresso, slowly pour the milk mixture into the coffee.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with cinnamon.
Vanilla Chai Tea
Prep Time: 5 minutes
1 cup dry milk
1 cup dry non-dairy creamer
1 cup dry non-dairy vanilla creamer
2½ cup sugar
1½ cup unsweetened instant tea mix
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Mix all of the ingredients together and store in an airtight container or a mason jars.
- To serve, mix 2-3 heaping tablespoons of tea mix for an average-sized coffee cup 3/4 full of hot water.
*Money saving tip: some of these spices can be substituted for a store bought Chai tea mix that already includes them
Pumpkin Hot Chocolate
Prep Time: 15 minutes
2 cups milk
½ cup pureed pumpkin
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of ginger powder
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate
Whipped cream (optional)
Coconut flakes (for garnish)
- Heat milk in a pan on low until it’s warm
- Stir pumpkin puree into milk
- Add sugar, ginger powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla extract and whisk together
- Add chocolate and stir together for about 7 minutes
- Serve topped with whipped cream, coconut flakes and sprinkles of nutmeg